Your browser is out-of-date and some of the website features may not work properly.

Update your browser to use this website in a safer, faster and easier way.

Update your browser

On siepomaga.pl we use cookies and similar technologies (own and from third parties) for the purpose of, among others, the website proper performance, traffic analysis, matching campaigns, or the Foundation website according to your preferences. Read more Detailed rules for the use of cookies and their types are described in our Privacy Policy .

You can define the preferences for storing and accessing cookies in your web browser settings at any time.

If you continue to use the siepomaga.pl portal (e.g. scroll the portal page, close messages, click on the elements located outside messages) without changing privacy-related browser settings, you automatically give us the consent to letting us and cooperating entities use cookies and similar technologies. You can withdraw your consent at any time by changing your browser settings.

Karolina's nasty lymphoma

Karolina Linde
Campaign finished

Karolina's nasty lymphoma

62 019,00 zł ( 38.64% )
Donated by 1505 people
Campaign goal:

Zakup nierefundowanego leku

Karolina Linde
Stronie Śląskie, dolnośląskie
Chłoniak Hodgkina
Starts at: 12 March 2015
Ends at: 01 May 2016

Campaign description

My name is Karolina Linde, I'm 20 years old. Two years ago, on the last year of high school, I noticed an enlarged lymph node on my neck. I assumed that it was nothing serious. Who, at the age of 18 suspects they have cancer? I was waiting for it to disperse by itself...

When it didn't happen I went to see my GP. I got a referral to a neck USG, and then to an oncologist, I got MRI and finally a biopsy. It took six months to make the diagnosis: cancer, Hodgkin's lymphoma. Do I have to add that in the very second my whole world collapsed? I had to abandon all my dreams and plans. Such diagnosis is a tragedy for everyone, regardless of age. However I was about to start my university studies – allegedly the most beautiful period of one's life. Moving out to a big city, living with friends, meeting new people, everything so new and exciting. I was terrified and despaired as I thought that cancer is a death sentence.

However it turned out that I had good chances of healing, my doctors were very confident. “That may sound weird but you should be happy that it's lymphoma. That's the best possible type of cancer, you have 80% chances of full recovery. In two years you won't even remember your illness”.  Well, I still remember. It's been two years and I still struggle with my nasty little cancer. It turned out that I'm the (un)lucky 20% which is immune to conventional treatment. My first (then I was hoping that also the last) chemo was ABVD. 12 doses, six months of therapy. When I look at it now, in hindsight I think it's no big deal but then the therapy was horrible. I was suffering not only physically but most of all mentally. After a few doses I was puking at the first sight of a drip or a syringe. I also lost my hair of which I had always been so proud. No one who never experienced it can understand what it means to undergo chemotherapy. Thanks to the support of my family and friends I managed to survive that half a year of tortures.

Karolina Linde

It's easy to imagine my joy when I heard doctor's words “patient cured”. The doctors were considering an additional radiotherapy but eventually they decided not to finish off my, already exhausted, body. That was an unfortunate decision. Who knows? Maybe if the radiotherapy had been applied I would have had a normal life now instead of writing these words? Anyway, there's no point in speculating “what if”. I didn't have the radiotherapy and after three months I suffered a relapse. For some reason I wasn't even surprised. The day after the diagnosis I was admitted to a oncology clinic. This time I took two doses of DHAP scheme chemo and, when those failed, two other – IGEV – ineffective as well. The main thing though is that after the relapse chemo was only a preparation for the doctor's greatest weapon – autologous stem cell rescue. Four attempts of separation of stem cells were conducted but still we didn't manage to collect the necessary amount of cells.

Now my last resort is a therapy with a new drug – Adcetris. Unfortunately it isn't refunded by the public healthcare system and 6 doses of the medicine cost over 200 000 PLN (that is approx. 53 000 USD). We are not able to raise such sum by ourselves and without this therapy there's no chance for me to recover. I believe that with the support of good people I will collect the money and, instead of a bucket list, I'll make a list of “things to do and see after healing”.

62 019,00 zł ( 38.64% )
Donated by 1505 people

Follow important campaigns